Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have some questions about the VAWA self petition process.

I have some questions...

I have some questions about the VAWA self petition process

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I received a Prima Facie

3/14/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Have you filed the I-360 yet? Was it approved? What questions do you have?

I filled the I-360 on November 9th, 2017. Last month a received a Prima Facie letter. I'm confused what should I do with this letter. Also, I would like to divorce without my husband knowing about it - Is that possible?
My I-360 have the same status - Fees were waived.
To make my case more clear. I moved to the US with a K1 Visa, I married and started the Adjustment of Status. During this period I was in contact with the NY Hotline looking for help to move and leave my abusive husband. After I leave his house I got support from some friends to have a place to live and then I found a job that I could pay a rent and have the basic. I left only with some clothes, my documents and my EAD card (That I need to renew too). I applied to renew the EAD card and I never got response back, but I received my Prima Facie.
My Adjustment of Status still showing that they got my fingerprints in 2016, over 530 days ago!
I need to divorce without my husband and get my renewal EAD card or Green Card and I don't know what to do next.

Your husband will know about the divorce because the family law process requires that he be notified. As far as the I-360 it is not an approval yet, correct? Just a letter that says that you have proven at least that there is a legitimate abuse case to be investigated, correct?

the I-360 was not approved yet. Yes, I got a letter saying that I qualify for the I-360, and a month later a Prima facie letter saying that I can get certain public benefits but I didn't understand at all how to use this Prima Facie and which kind of public benefit I can get with that.

It means you can apply for certain public benefits. Here is a link where you can look at pages 5 until the end:

http://library.niwap.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/PB-BchCrd-VAWAEligibilityProcess-04.17.13.pdf

For the Residency you have to wait for approval of the I-360 which can take a year or more.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Guilhermo, thank you so much for your help!
Just one last question!
I saw that if I want to renew or get Employment Authorization I need to send to the same place that I sent my I-360. To renew my EAD card is free?

No fee is required. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!