Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Question on EB1-C managerial category when managing full…

Question on EB1-C managerial category...
Question on EB1-C managerial category when managing full time consultantsI satisfy all criteria for EB1-C managerial category as listed in USCIS website. My team is globally distributed in various countries and I managed them remotely.
Question:
The team is comprised of full time consultants/freelancers (not employees). Does USCIS expect the team to be managed to be employees or is consultants/freelancers also fine as long as they are full time.
3/14/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Are you a front level manager or a high level manager managing or supervising other managers and/or supervisors?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm a high level manager managing or supervising other managers and/or supervisors. But, I would want to know for front level manager as well.

Then most likely you wouldn't be able to qualify as a front-line supervisor or manager. For EB-1C you have to be a high level manager. Here is the official link:

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM050204.html

Specifically:

(4) Defining “Managerial Capacity”:

(a) “Managerial capacity” as defined in INA 101(a)(44)(A) means an assignment within an organization in which the employee primarily:

(i) Manages the organization, or a department, subdivision, function, or component of the organization;

(ii) Supervises and controls the work of other supervisory, professional, or managerial employees, or manages an essential function within the organization, or a department or subdivision of the organization;

(iii) If another employee or other employees are directly supervised, has the authority to hire and fire or recommend those as well as other personnel actions (such as promotion and leave authorization) or, if no other employee is directly supervised, functions at a senior level within the organization hierarchy or with respect to the function managed; and

(iv) Exercises discretion over the day-to-day operations of the activity or function for which the employee has authority.

(b) A first-line supervisor is not considered to be acting in a managerial capacity merely by virtue of supervisory responsibilities unless the employees supervised are professional.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Guillermo,My original question is still not answeredRepasting it again:
Does USCIS expect the team to be managed to be employees or is consultants/freelancers also fine as long as they are full time.

That's fine, but you should have let me know that it hadn't been answered. Unfortunately, that news is not good and I ask that you not get upset with me about it as I did not write the laws. Direction of consultants and freelancers are not really taken into consideration by USCIS. Take a look at this link:

http://www.greencardapply.com/manager/eb1c-questions.htm

Look a little after the middle of the page, where it says "Q. Who are the professionals".

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.