Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend in jail with an ICE hold, He's only 22 and…

I have a friend...

I have a friend in jail with an ICE hold, He's only 22 and has been in this country since he was 5, has a permanent resident card. he also has an extensive criminal history

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No he has lost all his paperwork and his adoptive parents are no help

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He's in county jail right now the public defender hasn't even seen him yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He's from Russia

3/14/2018
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, right now the USCIS is strictly enforcing immigration laws. If he is illegally present in the US, even though it is not his fault but the fault of his parents, the US Immigration Code states he is in violation of the law and as such it says he must be deported. At this point, they cannot deport him without a deportation hearing, for which he will be appointed counsel, just like he would be for any other criminal charges.

They cannot deny his public defender or any legal counsel the right to see him in jail, so you need to consider assisting him by getting him a private immigration attorney to assist him.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.