Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I currently became engaged to a US citizen and was wondering…

Hi, I currently became...

Hi, I currently became engaged to a US citizen and was wondering what my options could be. I already have a PERM application pending (submitted mid-February from my job) and I am currently on an H1B visa set to reach its 6 yr limit in August 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

H1B, only thing pending is PERM application at this time awaiting approval

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/13/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you two planning to get married soon?

I am stepping away and will respond when I return.

No immediate plan to get married soon. We would get married ideally in a year with a big ceremony etc. but if we felt it was beneficial to get married sooner (courthouse) followed by a longer ceremony we would then.

What country are you from? Do you know your wait time?

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
I am from Barbados. Once PERM is approved the I-140 would be Current immediately.
Phone call session started

I will call you in about an hour

OK

Have a great night. :)

Thanks again

You're very welcome.