Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How can my wife adopt my last name during the immirgratin…

How can my wife...

How can my wife adopt my last name during the immirgratin petition? Our marriage certificate from mexico only has her maiden last name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas. This is an immigration question not a family law

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We are filing i-130

3/13/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Ok thankyou.

Your wife can just use her married last name on the I-130 petition. Wherever it asks for additional names, she can put her maiden name.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

But we have no legal document with her married name. What proof can we submit?
For example, on her immigration medical exam she had to use her maiden last name. There is no legal document with her married name.

The marriage certificate which shows that you two are married, that is sufficient. Immigration will acknowledge it.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney