Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just applied for K1 visa and saw that USCIS took our

I just applied for...

I just applied for K1 visa and saw that USCIS took our payment of $535 how long should i expect to wait to hear back about acceptance and if i don't hear back, how and who should i follow up with? i'm not using a lawyer as my fiance and i can't afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: We take care of them immediately, but sometimes it takes 3 to 5 days for the banks to process things. What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Yes, they already took payment from my credit card i haven't heard anything at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Mmm nope. he's french citizen and we followed every step and triple checked our application before sending

3/13/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I hope someone explained that this process takes about 9 months or so from filing the I-129F until the visa is stamped. You want to know the breakdown?

I've been reading and researching on visajourney.com, which is how I got connected to this site. Yes, if you can let me know the next step after submitting application? I saw they already took my $535 payment from my credit card. So now do I wait for a letter or email?

Be careful with those sites. Often people don't know what they are talking about or they get lucky and have either applied in a location that is not busy or at a time that is not busy. This is why I generally say 9 months from start to visa stamping. It will take about 5 to 7 months for the I-129F to be approved. After that, the National Visa Center (NVC) and/or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancee lives would send you letters asking for fees to be paid and a form and evidence to be submitted. The instructions are pretty clear. Once you send all of that in, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will schedule an interview. If that goes well, then they will get a visa to come to the U.S. The process should take around 4 to 6 months or more after the I-129F is approved.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

okay thanks great!! thanks!
One last question: does hiring an immigration lawyer expedite this process? Or it's a waiting game in any case? I'm pretty good at following instructions and reading things 2 or 3 times to double check my work.

Unfortunately, it does not. If you have an emergency or urgent reason, you might be able to expedite it. Here are some links:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!