Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I****** and i'm a greed card holder. After marriage i

Hi my name is P******...

Hi my name is P****** I****** and i'm a greed card holder. After marriage i changed my last name. I updated my new last name on my green card and Social Security already. But i didn't update my last name on my passport ( I'm holding Bangladeshi passport ). I want to apply for my citizenship this year. So my question is do i have change my last name on my passport before i apply for my Citizenship?

3/13/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Luckily, no, you do not have to change your last name on your Bangladeshi passport in order to proceed with a Naturalization application.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another confusion i have about this Name on passport is,, i also filed a petition for my Husband, the petition is not yet approved. As i have changed my name after marriage, is it important that i change my name on passport too as it may be needed as a supporting document later proceedings?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another question i have is, My Husband is in Germany for last 4+ years as a student, does he need to submit a police certificate from Bangladesh or only from Germany or certificate is needed from both country?

No. I don't believe that will be necessary, but you can certainly change your passport if you like.

As far as the police certificate, he needs to submit one from each location where he has lived for at least 6 months or more.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you sure about that if i dont change my passport name, it wont make any problems or delay on my naturalization and F2A visa process? please be certain as i will decide weather i should make a new passport or not.

There is never a 100% guarantee, but I am very sure it will not have a problem with Naturalization. But what reasons do you have not changing your passport anyway?

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.