Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

In 2009, while in Japan, I found myself in the wrong place…

In 2009, while in...

In 2009, while in Japan, I found myself in the wrong place at wrong time, with bad company. I went out with friends that I have not seen for a long time and was detained by Japanese Law Enforcement because my friends were caught shoplifting. After a long interview and investigation, I was let go while my friends were not. Recently I found out that they actually went to court, fined and served some time. On my DS-260, I answered no to the question have i ever been arrested or convicted, because clearly i was not. On the N-400, the question is a little different, it asks if "I have ever been, arrested, cited or detained." I answered "No" but realized it should've been a yes, and called USCIS to change my answer. Did i do the right thing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

It happened in Japan, 9 years ago, before i met my husband.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, she said i should have not called USCIS.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is pretty much it.

3/13/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Ok. I will be waiting.

Yes, if you were detained then yes is the right answer. It would not have been known had you answered no but if you already changed it, it's fine. That is the more correct answer.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney