Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Does a card holder needs to apply for a special travel

Does a green card holder...
Does a green card holder needs to apply for a special travel document if going to be abroad longer than 2-3 months period at a time for special occasion, I.e. taking care of a sick family member abroad? Thank you.
3/13/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

No, as long as it does not add up to 180 days or more in any 12 month period. If it will, then they should apply for a Re-Entry Permit on form I-131 and they only have to be in the U.S. to get their fingerprints taken which should be 2 to 6 weeks or so.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

I want to know if it’s within a calendar year or fiscal year. And how does it count when I enter the boarder? Back track a year from the time I enter and see if the past year I stayed more than 6 months? Thanks.

Hello again. Please don't leave without leaving a positive rating. It is the only way the website will compensate me and the session does NOT close, we do NOT finish even though it may say, "Rate to finish." We can continue communicating without additional charge.

It is ANY 12 month period. So not just calendar year like January to December, not just fiscal like October to September, but ANY 12 month period like March to April, July to June, etc.

And if you enter through the border and then leave again after a day, that just counts as a day inside of the U.S. It may preserve continuity of Residency for Naturalization purposes, but it does not prevent abandonment of Residency.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

That was going to be my next question when I’m ready to get naturalized. Are they going to count in total whether I’ve been in the US for cumulatively of 5 years? If not, I have to wait longer to apply?

It's 30 months of physical presence out of the 60 months previous to filing the N-400. If you don't have more than 30 months of physical presence at this time, you will have to wait until you do before applying.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you very much. When is it the earliest time I can submit my naturalization application? Is it at 4 years and 9 months?

Please do not log off again without leaving a positive rating for me. It is the only way the website will compensate me. Yes. 4 years and 9 months of Residency or more is when you can file the N-400.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for all your help! And I just provided the rating.

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!