Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Question for Guillermo Sanmartino: I live in NJ and plan to…

Question for Guillermo Sanmartino: I live...
Question for Guillermo Sanmartino:
I live in NJ and plan to apply for naturalization. The Form N-400 asks disclosure of any detention or court appearance. I want guidance if to mention municipal garbage infractions. Thanks in advance, PABLO
3/12/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Yes you are supposed to disclose. A simple citation like that, even 2 or maybe 3, would not normally put you at risk of denial, but not mentioning them could cause you an issue and cause a denial. Remember that a large part of that process is good moral character.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, Guillermo. What about a chancery division lawsuit where they sued me for money, I counter-sued and was later dismissed? That is not a crime or offense, right? So do I have to put it for sure? My worry is that if just to be in the safe side I add too much stuff that not necessarily belongs in the application, it's going to end up looking bad. So far I have:
- I inspection ticket that led to a detention but not an arrest proper. Ticket was paid and no charges were filed. This was in Newark
- I municipal complaint by a tenant about entering to his apartment without authorization. It was dismissed. This was in Newark
- 3 garbage violations that happened while I owned a multifamily but was not living there. This was in Newark.
- The mentioned chancery division lawsuit.
What would your recommendation be then, in terms of what to include?
Thanks in advance,

The chancery division lawsuit sounds civil, not criminal. So that should not be included.

Just those citations and proof that you paid them.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.