Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

On 02.14.2018 I had in interview to become permanent

Hello! On 02.14.2018 I...

Hello! On 02.14.2018 I had in interview to become permanent resident(base on marriage) I got approve, meanwhile I did moved but didn’t change my adress with USCIS thinking that may slowed down my procces! I did forward address on my local post office and all letters from USCIS been forwarding correctly! I got approval letter 5 Days after my interview, and then my status changed my card is been produced! After another 3 Days status changed: on feb 22 2018 your new card is been mailed to me to the address you gave us! I was waiting 3 weeks and nothing changed! Contacted USCIS today, got a trucking number and got this number checked by officer, who told me that my card was returned to them as undelivered! I requested resend my card(still not changing an adress). My status never changed till now! I been looking all forums and I’m extremely stressed and confused! Should I just go to post office and talk if they can hold my letters from USCIS or get a po box(but then should I inform USCIS about it) or I should changed my address on USCIS site(but not shire if that may slows my procces) as fares I know any changes to the address while pending procces is never good, and I’m not sure if this address will be updated right away!!im still the same city so there would be still the same emigration office! Please help me what steps I should take right now

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Congratulations on your approval!

Unfortunately it may not be difficult for you to get the card because you should have changed your address with USCIS as soon as you moved. This is because USCIS will not allow things like green card to be "forwarded" to a new address. It can only be delivered to a current address. It is different from the receipt notices and approval noticed. If you had changed it from the beginning and had proof of that, then you would be protected if USCIS can't deliver it because you followed the directions. You need to update your address immediately with USCIS. Then once you do that, call USCIS and ask them to send out the green card again. Hopefully they can still send you the same one. Last resort, you would have to apply for a replacement using form I-90.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

I already request for a card to be resent at my old address since I wasn’t sure what to do! If I do change my address now would this affect the procces(how long it take for USCIS to update the adress) I’m aware they may not update it fast enough and my card will stuck somewhere! Don’t you think is better to leave it like that and just try to work it out with post office?? And should be status online be changed already ones they receive it back to them? It is still say: card is been mail to me..

Unless someone will be at your old address to actually receive the card at your old address (and you stop forwarding the mail) then the chances are very low that it will be forwarded to you. USCIS does not allow important documents to be forwarded. You can leave it like that if you choose and try with the post office directly, but it may not be up to the post office to give it to you. They may have specific instructions to send it back because the address on file is being forwarded to another. But yes you can definitely try to intercept it before it is sent back. Sometimes they update the status when they receive it back, but not always. Their website is not 100% reliable. It is not always updated right away, if at all. It's possible the card has been mailed already.

I hope this helps to clarify and hope you can kindly issue a positive rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hi! I’m coming back to you according last conversation, I did as you advised, and change an address through USCIS online, got a confirmation email saying:request succesfully submitted, and should expect replie by03.26 as I told you before I did service request 2 Days earlier for resent my card(not mentioning my new address). So now I’m concern how long it takes for an address to be updated! If is gonna be faster then their respond to my card to be resent! I’m afraid is gonna be resent to my old address again;( what can I do now??

You will just have to wait and check mail in both places.