Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am currently under OPT(optional practical training) a

Hi,I am currently under OPT(optional...
Hi,I am currently under OPT(optional practical training) a category for F1 students which is valid till 28-feb-2019. I am planning a trip to my home country Afghanistan. However, my entry visa on passport expired on 06-Jan-2017 which would mean I would need to undergo a visa interview in an US embassy outside of US to get it extended.
While coming back from Afghanistan, how likely would that be for an entry visa not been extended which would prevent me from entering the US even though I have OPT valid till 28-feb-2019 due to the current immigration dynamics in government.
If an event such as this happens, do I have any options to reverse the decision such as appeal because such a decision can severely damage my educational and career goals. Anything regarding this would be really appreciated.
3/13/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

It is very difficult to speculate with such things. So that you are aware, not even the U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident spouse of a U.S. Citizen has a guarantee to enter the U.S. That being said, as long as you meet all the eligibility and security requirements, I don't see why they should deny you stamping. Most importantly, make sure that you are able to prove non-immigrant intent and that you have a home to go back to. If they think you will pursue a green card, even if a few years later, maybe after H-1B, they can easily deny you a new F-1 visa to come back.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hi Guillermo,Thanks for the response. If my visa is denied ,Can I appeal the decision by hiring a lawyer to revert the decision.

Unfortunately, there is no appeal process at the U.S. Embassy, but you can always apply again.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thanks and if entey visa is denied, Will that affect my OPT status while re-applying for entry visa again.

You just won't be able to get back. So you would not be able to get back into OPT since they won't let you back into the U.S. without a visa.

Thanks Mr.Guillermo for your help

My pleasure!