Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need your help and information about my situation. I was a…

Hello I need your help and...
Hello
I need your help and information about my situation.
I was a holder for American Green Card and its expired around 7 years ago, my age now 28 years I first interred U.S. in 2001 and issued my green card then when I was 11 years old after five years I left U.S. at 2006 and never return back for some personal reasons and problems.
Is it possible to renew the green card now or there is a chance to apply for U.S. Citizen directly I think my personal situation may help.
I am from Jordan and live and work at Kuwait city right now I have an Engineering degree.
I need only a confirmation is it possible to immigrate and work at U.S. now so I can proceed or not?Thanks
3/12/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, if you are outside the US more than one year, your green card is considered to be abandoned. You cannot renew the card. You would now have to start all over again to come to the US. You cannot immigrate with that card and come work with that. I'm so sorry. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and i can't change them. I can only be honest with you.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

thanks for your pleasing way to answer and I would like to follow up with More questions if is it not a problem for you.
1) Can apply for green card from now at the embassy or should be a visa?
2) In case I need a VISA What is more suitable way to live and work at US. it is by H1B VISA or by visit VISA. I am talking here as I want to be an american citizen and to live forever inside US. ?
3) In case I want to proceed with the H1B Visa From where I can apply ? shall I go to embassy to apply directly or some american company that needs to hire me shall do the visa?
4) I have some relatives they are american citizens ( Aunt and cousins) could be they my responses?thanks

1) You can only apply for a green card if you have a basis, such as a family I-130 approved or an employment petition I-140. I don't believe you have this now. If it was simple to apply for a green card, then everyone would be applying. Unfortunately it's very hard.

2)You cannot live and work in the US with a visitor visa. If your employer applies for your H1b and it is approved, then you can live and work in the US.

3)An American company needs to apply for you. You can't apply for yourself.

4)Unfortunately no. ONLY US citizen parents, your spouse, or your US citizen children over 21 can petition for you.

I hope this helps and hope you can kindly leave a good rating.

ok thanks
1) To be clear in case I got H1B visa, can I work more than 6 years and within these years Can I apply for green card?2) I read online that there is an Expert attorneys for Arranging H1B visas is that right?? And it is possible I get help from you ?

1) With H1B You can only work for 6 years in the US, unless your employer applies for your green card. Within 6 years, you can apply for a green card yes.

2) Yes, there are attorneys that can assist with H1B's. Unfortunately no, I cannot assist you. You can look for an attorney on aila.org Usually the employer petitioning for you will pick the attorney.

I hope this clarifies your doubts and hope that you can now issue a positive rating for the time and consultation.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hello
Thanks alot for the valuable information.You told before this thread number 3) that the company needs to apply for me for H1B VISA. In that case is it limited to Early of April of facial year or anytime of the year could apply for me?
And what is H1B VISA Cap?Thanks v. much

The company should apply by April 1st. After that time, usually all the H1B visas are filled up. The cap is the number of H1B visas available. There is a limited amount and they are usually all taken right away.