Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

May I please ask you about travelling outside the US, while…

Second opinion] Hello: May...

Second opinion] Hello: May I please ask you about travelling outside the US, while my adjustment of permanent residence is still under process by USCIS? Namely, I am doing my PhD in the US and I have a valid F-1 visa until August 30, 2020 and I need to travel to Europe this summer to do my research, but I have also submitted I485 and I130 on February 28 and my case is under review (bio-metrics service appointment being scheduled for next week). Would travelling outside the US have any impact on my case? Could I re-enter the US based on my current F1 visa?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

They only sent me a notice to show up for fingerprint etc next week, but my I485 is under process still

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I havent. We did not hire a lawyer, my husband who is the US citizen and I have filled I 485 and I 130 ourselves

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it I believe. I can answer any other question you need.

3/12/2018

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

No, you cannot enter the U.S. on an F-1 student visa after you start the green card process. The F-1 requires non-immigrant intent which you no longer have. So you must file an I-131 to get an Advance Parole approved before you leave the U.S. If you leave without an approval of the I-13, you abandon the I-485 and will be stuck outside for 6 to 9 months to do Consular Processing and no, you would not be allowed to visit during that time. After you get the green card, you have to maintain it.

Anyone that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and is outside of the U.S. for 180 days or more within any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year) creates a rebuttable presumption of abandonment of residency. That presumption can be rebutted by evidence to the contrary such as filing U.S. taxes, maintaining a home in the U.S. and paying that mortgage or rent, maintaining a U.S. drivers license, U.S. bank accounts with significant movement, etc.

Someone that has been outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without first having an approved re-entry permit has abandoned their residency and only in very few exceptions (such as serious illness) can they get it back.

Here is an official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

This may become a problem in one of your trips back into the U.S., when you apply to renew your residency card, or when you apply for U.S. Citizenship.

So basically, you need to spend more time in the U.S. than outside of the U.S. If that will not be possible, at least at the beginning, once you have U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency, you can apply for a Re-Entry Permit on form I-131. This will allow you to be outside of the U.S. for up to 2 years. You can use it for multiple trips. If you need more time, you come back before the 2 years ends and then you can apply for one more Re-Entry Permit for 2 more years. If you still need more time, you can apply again, but after 4 years, they get harder and harder to get and often only grant them for one year at a time. At some point you will need to start living in the U.S. and spending more than 180 days per 12 months inside. Here is a link to the I-131 (it is the same form for both. You file it once for the I-131 Advance Parole, then after you get the green card, you file it again for the Re-Entry Permit, just filling out different things):

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!