Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

May I please ask you about travelling outside the US, while…

Hello: May I please...

Hello: May I please ask you about travelling outside the US, while my adjustment of permanent residence is still under process by USCIS? Namely, I am doing my PhD in the US and I have a valid F-1 visa until August 30, 2020 and I need to travel to Europe this summer to do my research, but I have also submitted I485 and I130 on February 28 and my case is under review (bio-metrics service appointment being scheduled for next week). Would travelling outside the US have any impact on my case? Could I re-enter the US based on my current F1 visa?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

They only sent me a notice to show up for fingerprint etc next week, but my I485 is under process still

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I havent. We did not hire a lawyer, my husband who is the US citizen and I have filled I 485 and I 130 ourselves

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it I believe. I can answer any other question you need.

3/12/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, traveling outside the US while the I-485 is pending will definitely affect permanent residence your case. You must apply for an I-131 FIRST in order to travel in order to not abandon the I-485. If you travel without it, the I-485 will be considered abandoned and you must apply again. The I-131 takes about 3-4 months to be approved.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Sounds good. Thank you Jen Marie!
traveling outside the US while the I-485 is pending will definitely affect permanent residence your case. You must apply for an I-131 FIRST in order to travel in order to not abandon the I-485. If you travel without it, the I-485 will be considered abandoned and you must apply again. The I-131 takes about 3-4 months to be approved.Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any. The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney