Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I want travel outside of the USA for 1week but I had 2 DUI…

I want travel outside...

I want travel outside of the USA for 1week but I had 2 DUI back in 2012 and 2014 I completed my PBJ on 2012 and 2014 I did my jail time everything is close now would this affect me if I travel outside the country and to return back

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry MD

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes filed and reported both

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you a US citizen or green card holder?

Green card
Green card holder for for 15 years and I did renew my status on 2012

These crimes should not make you inadmissible if there was no bodily injury or property damage to others. However, you could be questioned about it so bring documents showing both cases have been closed. Also, you may want to consider applying for citizenship instead so you do not have to worry about travel or losing your green card.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

My last case took about year to close and the attorney at the told me to wait and don’t apply for citizenship because of my 2 dui wait least 5 years
No public damage or people injury just my self driving under influence

Yes, I didn't mean to apply now. I just mean, when the time is right apply for citizenship rather that traveling without it, if you can help it. It is correct that you should not apply until 5 years have passed since the last DUI so that will be in 2019.

Hope this helps and hope you can kindly leave a good rating. Thanks.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney