Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I've had a permanent card for nearly 40 years. I travel a…

I've had a permanent...

I've had a permanent green card for nearly 40 years. I travel a lot for work in the Caribbean and not having an expiration date on the green card is a pain. I can no longer pull a boarding pass or sign up for Global Entry. I paid the $450 and started the process to get a new updated one. I sent in all the forms online last May, I've done my fingerprints and photo through the processing center. Now, they are asking me to send my original green card to an address in Virginia in order to continue with the process. They are not asking me to send it registered mail or with any proof I've sent it. Once it's gone, it's gone! That makes me extremely nervous. I still need to travel for work, and I was told to make an appointment with the processing center to talk to someone to then set up an appointment to get a "temporary" permit which will be stamped in my passport. Unfortunately, my closest center in is Raleigh NC, and there have been literally no appointments since I got this notice more than a month ago. I'd really like some advice on the following: 1. Is this normal - to be asked to send in my original green card.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

2. How long does this permit last for?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

3. Is there any way around having to send them my original. 4. My passport needs to be updated in 4 months or I cannot travel as I need 6 months from end date to be able to travel.

3/12/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

1. Yes, it is normal to have to send in the old green card.

2. The permit is given for 365 days in your passport. If you change passport, you can go back and get it again or you can show the one in the old passport when you travel if you keep both passports.

3. Unfortunately there is no way around it.

4. Please see #2 above

In addition, to get an infopass appointment, always check first thing in the morning. That is when they open. If you try this and still can't get any appointment after a week or so, then you can also try driving to the USCIS center and letting the person at the information desk know about this and if they cannot help you get an appointment, then ask to speak to a supervisor. This can help.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Can I get this permit at another office or do I have to go back to the center where I first got documented?

You can go to any USCIS field office center.

Hope this helps .

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney