Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My fiancé card was taken away at Miami International

Customer Question
My fiancé green card...

My fiancé green card was taken away at Miami International Airport

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He case on felony and 4 misdemeanors of years ago

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
On his 3rd trip back from cuba they put him aside and because of his record they took away his card. He has one Felony and 4 misdemeanors. He had an appointment with Homeland Security and when we arrived the office said oh, I just received your file yesterday come back on the 20th. Can he be deported back to Cuba after 18 years?
3/12/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 3 months ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Based on his criminal record, it is possible he could have his green card revoked and he could be deported to Cuba. It depends on the types of crimes and whether or not they were domestic violence or crimes of moral turpitude. Furthermore, even if they were not crimes of domestic violence or moral turpitude, which are grounds for removal, if he failed to report the convictions to USCIS, then he can face deportation for failure to report.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

One was battery, the other stalking, and trespassing. Is a judge the only one that can deport him? Is there a possibility he can be detained at his appointment in Homeland security?

Thank you for your reply.

Homeland Security and USCIS can deport him and if he objects then it goes before the Immigration Court for determination of a deportation order.

He can be detained at his DHS appointment and they can initiate deportation orders against him and if he objects he can be detained and go to the immigration court to decide or he can voluntarily leave.

The crimes are those of moral turpitude though, so they are sufficient for deportation if USCIS chooses.