Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

James/ ------------------------------------------- I was…

For Judith/James/***** ***** ------------------------------------------- Hi, I was...
For Judith/James/***** *****
-------------------------------------------
Hi, I was just checking that my friend who actually has to go to Chicago for the training, wants to take a flight from his country to New York and connecting flight to Chicago.Will he get questioned about why he wanted to land in NYC as PoE and not Chicago directly?
3/12/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for asking for me again.

All passengers have to clear immigration and customs at their first point of entry in the US. When you land you’ll first clear immigration, then you’ll have to wait at the baggage belt, and then you’ll have to clear customs. Once you exit the immigration hall there’s almost always going to be a transit counter where you can re-check your bags.

For example, say you’re flying from Hong Kong to Chicago to New York. When you check your bag in Hong Kong, the bag will typically show as being tagged all the way to New York. Despite that, you will have to collect the bag in Chicago, and then have to check it again in Chicago after you clear immigration. The bag won’t need to be tagged again since the baggage tag already indicates your final destination.

However, do make sure that your bag is in fact tagged correctly, because in some cases your bag may only be tagged to the intermediate point. This is especially true if you’re traveling on separate tickets.

The process of checking the bag at the transit desk should be easy, and the agents there can typically also help you print boarding passes, etc.

Since your friend has a connecting flight to another destination he will have to clear security again. Some airports have a special security lane for transit passengers, while others make you go to the main security checkpoint at the terminal to clear again. Keep in mind that typical US policies will apply regarding liquids, carry-on allowances, etc.

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Edward Young

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.

Gave you bonus as well. Hope you got it.