Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My husband was charge in Mt Vernon New York a against his ex…

Second opinion] My husband was...
Second opinion] My husband was charge in Mt Vernon New York a against his ex wife with pl-240.3 -01 2-agg harr -2nd: communicate { reduce to PL-240.26-03 pl-240.30-.2 2- agg harassment 2nd: telephone pl-240.26-01 2 harassment 2nd phy contact Plead guilty on 8/3/2005 to PL-240.26 01 harassment 2nd will he have a problem getting is green card? I am planning in filing for him at the end of the month. we have 2 kids together.
3/12/2018
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Will he have a problem getting a green card, YES. Why, because these charges are domestic violence charges and they are grounds to deny green card or visa status to a defendant charged with these offenses. They are not an automatic mandatory disqualification, they are charges that may result in disqualification and USCIS will have to look into the case and look at the police report and will likely even interview the police and his ex wife regarding the charges to make a final determination.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your response. Since is was in 2005 and the divorce ended badly and her intentions is to see his “deported or dead” her words. What can we do? She was also charge felony for stabbing him.

Thank you for your reply.

So, based on those facts, this is something that USCIS would consider and since it was also more than 10 years ago, they would consider that as well. Between the time since the incident and the fact she stabbed him and was charged, there is a good chance that they will not use it against him.

Will I need to go
Will need to file the p

Thank you for your reply.

You would need to go to the interview, yes.

Sorry I’m on my phone. Will I need to file the police report and certificate of conduct with the i130 and 485 forms

Thank you for your reply.

You do not have to file those with your forms, you can let them get the reports and certificate. If you have the police report and certificate of conduct, then it will speed up the process to file them with your I-130/I-485

Do you have an estimate how much it will cost us file all the form we need to file?

Thank you for your reply.

It is about $420 to file the I-130 for an alien relative.

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate you swift response. Do you have a office in new York city?

Thank you for your reply.

No, we do not have the ability to represent anyone from this site I am afraid, it is prohibited by state laws. If you need a local immigration law attorney you can get them at http://www.hg.org