Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question regarding visa. H-4 AND H4 EAD applied…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

H-4 AND H4 EAD applied concurrently on 11/21/2017 haven't received anything from USCIS yet. My wife's H1b needs to be renewed this month can I apply for H4 and EAD while my previous application is still pending?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/11/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Has your status expired that you held prior to 11/21/2017?

Judith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my H1-B was valid only till Jan-2018 I applied for change of status through My wife's approved I-140 to H4 and EAD applied concurrently on 11/21/2017

Since your I-94 has expired you cannot apply for an extension until your original extension has been approved. You should have done this before Jan 2018. Now your current pending extension can only be given until Jan 2018.

If you had filed an extension with your wife's while you were still in status it could have been extended with hers.

Now you will need to depart the US and enter on the H4 as soon as your wife's status is extended. I would suggest she does premium processing as your status will have expired.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer