Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I would like to know If I am eligible to receive a card

Customer Question
Hello I would like...

Hello I would like to know If I am eligible to receive a green card through my US Citizen parent

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I was approved for DACA in 2014

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I came here illegally in 1984 when I was 3 years old. I have not returned to my original country. Would just like to know how this affects my situation.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
I would like to add more information about myself and my situation.
I am 36 years old
I am unmarried and have no children
I also have DACA.
My father and both my older and younger brothers are US citizens.
I was wondering if could seek a pathway to a green card or citizenship through my family.
3/11/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Has anyone ever filed an I-130 petition for you?

No, and I have also never been out of the country

Your parent can submit an I-130 petition for you now. However, there is a long waiting time for a green card for a son or daughter over 21 of a US citizenship. Right now the wait time is 7 years unless you're from Mexico or the Philippines. The wait time from Mexico is 21 years and Philippines is 12 years. Once that time is up and there is a green card available, you will need a waiver I-601A to be approved and then you must travel back to your country to apply for the green card at the US embassy. Since you will have the waiver, you should be allowed back in after that.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."