Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am on H1- and in this country for the past 12 years. I…

I am on H1-B and...
I am on H1-B and in this country for the past 12 years. I exit and enter US without any issues so far. NEVER convicted or arrested. However, last week when I entered SFO from India, CBP officer asked multiple times if I was arrested before and after my denial he sent me to secondary inspection. he was of course very rude and said, "If you were lying, it would have grave consequences". After 15 min wait at the secondary inspection, officer asked me one more time if i were ever arrested and stamped my entry.I am absolutely positive that i was never arrested and want to know what's happening here in this case.
3/11/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I'm so sorry this happened. Unfortunately there is no way for me or any other attorney to know for sure what is the reason that happened. Sometimes CBP is just suspicious due to something you say or do and no actual basis. If you are sure that you have not been given even a traffic ticket in the US, then it could just be a mix up on CBP's side or again, it could just be the officer's suspicion for not specific reason. CBP officers are given tremendous discretion at the port of entry to question aliens.

If you feel that you were mistreated, you can definitely file a complaint against them here https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thank you Jen for the answer. I was quite surprised too. He just asked me where i work and what visa i work on and then asked if i was ever arrested. The way he spoke, made me feel he wants me to confirm that I was and my answer did not help him much.What i really want to know or get help form you is if someone abused my name or passport number? Similar to identify theft? I am only trying to see that this is a corner case and not something that is on my name records. I am sure that i was NEVER arrested. I will surely try to file a compliant but any other details would help (if you can).Thank you.

Besides the complaint, you should also file a redress with DHS in case they have incorrect information or there has been identity theft. You can file that here https://trip.dhs.gov/

I hope this helps additionally and hope you can kindly issue a good rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney