Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Question on Consular Processing: My question is on I-130…

Question on Consular Processing: My question...
Question on Consular Processing:
My question is on I-130 filing for my spouse.
My legal Status in USA: Green card.
I received my GC through sibling (F4) petition recently during Nov 2017. Currently, i traveled out of US to my home country.I married my long time girl friend in my native country in Feb 2018. I wish to file I130 for my wife and help her to come to US and live with me.
1. I learned from one of the attorneys here that i can file I-130 now , while i am still outside of USA. (please note that i will return to US on 5th April 2018). But i wish to file I-130 as early as possible since the wait times would be nearly 1.5 years for my country.
I filled up the following forms and they are ready with me.
1. I-1302. I-130A3. My current marriage completion receipt and photos.4. My previous marriage divorce decree.5. Photocopies of both I and my spouse's Passport .6. Birth certificate of my spouse.7. My US residency proof ( GC copy ).On the USCIS site i saw that in addition to the above documents, i also need a document to show the proof of 'Bonafide relationship'.
The site says that it can be anything such as 'House bills', 'Tax bills' etc etc.,
Since i am very recently married, I don't have any such common bills. We don't have a concept of 'live-in' relationship in my country (India) before marriage. So there is no common bills between us for the place of stay. Can you suggest me that how can i handle this. Can i skip this document alone and still file I-130 ?
3/11/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

What you have listed is correct. The only one to mention is #3 on your list. I am not sure what a marriage completion receipt is but it is the same as a marriage certificate, then that is fine.

As for the bonafides, you cannot skip it. If you don't have bills it is ok but you must provide something. This can be things such as pictures together throughout your relationship and of your marriage, print out chat logs from when you speak, and/or print out emails you send eachother. Last resort you can in addition provide notarized letters from people that know both you and your wife and can confirm that it is a bonafide relationship (include how they know you guys, name, address, etc.)

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thanks for your reply. 5 Star ratings is the best for the answer you gave.You have given few options to be submitted as a proof for Bonafide relationship.
I have photos taken in the past 2 years of our continued relationship.
I can attach 10 photos ( with dates mentioned behind the photo).In addition , can i create a "Joint" 'Bank account' tomorrow on both our names in a reputed Financial institution and send a copy of the 'Statement' as a proof.
Will the bank account opened tomorrow ( March 12) will be good enough proof for our relationship to be accepted bonafide ? . Please clarify.

Yes, you can create a joint account in the US if the bank will agree. That will up to the bank. It does help but still you should try to provide as many of the other things I mentioned as possible.

Hope this was helpful and hope you can kindly issue the rating on the top with the stars.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hi..
Can you assist me on i130 filing process, like reviewing the forms and filing at lockbox
What will be your fee for this.

To discuss your case more in detail for this, I would have to send you an offer to exchange contact information. It's the only way we can on the website. I will send and you can accept if you choose.

Hi just checking if you received my last message. :)

Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town with limited internet. Hence could not check emails. Please note my email below. *************

I sent you mine in the private box.