Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My cousin is here on a fiance visa from El Salvador. She is…

Customer Question
My cousin is here...

My cousin is here on a fiance visa from El Salvador. She is in the United States and has been married for 7 months. Both she and her husband have decided to divorce. As of now she is on a fiance visa and she has also already filed for a change of status and has done the biometrics. My question is if she is filing for a divorce should she leave the country now, should she withdraw the case, or will she still be able to stay in the country. They have submitted for I-864 (affidavit of support) as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Yes pending application to chanve status to permanent resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has left their household and is staying with me but has no working papers. Not sure if she should return to el Salvador, go to California to live with father (u.s. citizen) and have him petition for her or to withdraw the case all together

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/11/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

If sheis not claiming to be an abused spouse she will need to leave as soon as the divorce if final unless she is called into USCIS for her interview at which the adjudicator officer will deny the I-485 and set her up for removal proceedings.

So whether she should leave now depends on how quickly itis anticipated forh er to finalize her divorce in the US.

If it will be a long process she should leave and pursue divorce proceedings in El Sal.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer