Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If a Norwegian musician is hired as a

HiIf a Norwegian musician is...
HiIf a Norwegian musician is hired as a musician/instrumentalist to contribute on a U.S artists recording/new album in US, which type of visa should be applied for?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Does this person have a national or international reputation?

Judith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the music producer that is hired for the production has in his field, he got some emmy- awards. But the main artist dosent .

There are a couple of visa options depending on the specific gig and reputation.

It could be an 0-1 extraordinary ability.

Please read this link

http://www.americanlaw.coJudithm/music.html

I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Regarding O-1 visa, and letter of recommendations, I heard I need 4-5 letters of recommendation, is this right for musician? If it is, from which people should these letter preferable be written? Can these people also be Americans that knows my skills, (like for example this music producer that will be involved in the project that knows me, or must it only be from people from my home country? Also do I need documentation that I have worked with these people who write the letters.As I read in your link about O1 visa
"O-1 petitions require consultations with an appropriate peer group (which could include a person or persons with expertise in the field), labor or management organization regarding the proposed work and the beneficiary's qualifications. The petitioner must submit such a consultation with the petition or show that an appropriate peer group, labor organization or management organization does not exist." When it says "submit such a consultation with the petition" does this mean a written letter from a person with expertise in the field?, how much details need this expert who providing this consultation need to know and write about my proposed work in usa. Can the expert/peer group just confirm that Im qualified to do the proposed work?

You need to get a consultation from the American Federation of Muscians.

http://www.afm.org/what-we-are-doing/travel-resources/need-a-visa/

Here is a very helpful blog that discusses the union and peer group qualifications for the consultations.

https://dlgvisablog.com/blog/union-and-peer-group-consultation-letters-for-o-visa-petitions-a-qa

Any letter of recommendation should be from someone who is a recognized expert in our particular musical field.

Judith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for the information!1. When it comes to sending documentation of my skills when applying for O1 visa and specific; documentation of rewards I have received in the past, I wonder if a photo/picture/photocopy of the reward, in its frame is accepted?
2. on USCIS gov. web page I can not see one of the required docomentation for O-1 b visa (musician) is letters of recommendation, I heard from a person I should have this. But I do read at USCIS below evidentiary Criteria for O-1B: "Received significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies or other recognized experts in the field in which the beneficiary is engaged, with the testimonials clearly indicating the author's authority, expertise and knowledge of the beneficiary's achievements". Is this equal to letters of recommendation?

It is similar but person writing recommendation needs to attach their CV t show they are critics or a member of government agency or recognized experts in field.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer