Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My fiance entered the country in July of 1017 from Canadaon…

My fiance entered the...

My fiance entered the country in July of 1017 from Canadaon a K1 visa , we did marry within the 90 day requirement, and filed an I-485 (with all the financial and supporting documentation)nto adjust her status which was received by MSC on Sept 2, 2017. We did have the Biometrics done, but the website never seems to get updated as to status when I check. Should I file for a travel document (I-131) since we have our honeymoon scheduled for Sept to Europe and it is about 6 months out. I don't know how long it takes for consideration of the travel document since the process appears to be at a snails pace. I don't want to complicate the current current application. Any advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Awaiting change of status.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes some time ago, but not represented. Went through the K1 process and appeal process (since I signed one of the forms she was suppose to), and won. When I spoke to a lawyer online, she suggested if I got through the appeals process unrepresented I probably could file the 485 without assistance. It is the time they take that is causing us some concern.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is pretty much the question...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Yes if you're planning on traveling later this year and you still haven't received her reisdency card, then yes you can file for the travel permit.

You should hopefully receive approval of her petition before September, but you can still file the I-131 for the travel document in advance, just so you have it in the event of some continued delay.

Filing an application for the I-131 won't complicate or delay the approval of her petition.

You can access the I-131 form and instructions here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

It shouldn't take any longer than 60-90 days to receive the approved travel permit.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you, ***** ***** prepared the 131, but did not want to complicate an already frustrating immigration process.

You're welcome, no problem.

No, the I-131 should not complicate or delay your petition.

It is customarily filed with an adjustment of status.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!