Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

FOR GUILLERMO, I have a relative that had a card and later…

FOR GUILLERMO, Good Morning, I have...
FOR GUILLERMO,
Good Morning, I have a relative that had a green card and later got it taken away due to a drug offense and was subsequently deported. He has been outside the US for 10 years now. His mother, a US citizen, would like to petition for him. Besides going through the normal process, is he going to need a "Perdon" in the future for his criminal offense? In your experience, do people with prior criminal records get approved such as this one? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
3/9/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Almost all drug offenses are permanent bars to getting Residency. If it was ONLY simple possession of marijuana and that being less than 30 grams, then a perdon exists. Anything else, and there is no waiver. If it was a trafficking offense, then they do not even need a conviction to keep him out, only a reason to believe that he was involved in or benefiting from trafficking.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!