Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

We adopted our grandson 3 years ago and sent in the I130…

We adopted our grandson...

We adopted our grandson 3 years ago and sent in the I130 form but there is still a 2 year waiting period, the problem is that his B2 visa is running out on march 18 and we were told he had to leave the USA, both me and my wife are green card h

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Just the I130

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes we have a lawyer in Dallas but she is telling us also that he needs to leave, our son is 12 years old it is tough to send him out of the country

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that should be it for now

3/9/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Ok thanks

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

How long have you been Lawful Permanent Residents?

Since May of 2009

And why don't one of you become a U.S. Citizen so that way your son does not have to leave the U.S. and can do Adjustment of Status?

Yeah we are planning on doing that but that takes about 6 months to do and he is supposed to be out on march 18

Ok. You have three choices:

1) Become U.S. Citizens (or at least one of you), then even though he might be illegal by that time, as long as he is under 21 and you file all the proper paperwork for him, he is placed back into a stay authorized by the Attorney General and can get Residency without leaving the U.S.

2) You send him back home to wait for Consular Processing.

3) He stays until the Priority Date becomes current and you send him back home at that time to do Consular Processing to come back rather quickly. Why will this work? Because he does not have a penalty to coming back until after he turns 18 and a half (unlawful presence starts at 18 and the penalty is activated 6 months later).

So you have options.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!