Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a card holder in the USA, and I have been separated…

Customer Question
I am a green card...
I am a green card holder in the USA, and I have been separated from my wife for over 5years. Questions are, can I apply for the citizenship now as married and be separated at the time of the interview?Also, I have hold of jurisdiction on a felony back from 2008 that I was not convicted. Are that considered grounds for me not becoming an American citizen?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/9/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

This is the spouse that you got U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency through? What date did you separate? What date did you get your 10 year green card?

Also, what was the felony? What was the sentence?

that's my spouse I got the green card.I married back in 2008 and I been separated for over 4 years just never filed the divorce, all my taxes were filed as married been separated. I got my green card back in 2011 and expire now in 2021.
in regards ***** ***** charges, give me few minutes I will research for you. I am at work and dont have all the documents with me.

But what I also need to know is the exact date that you got your 10 year green card approved and around the date that you separated. If you separated right after you got your 10 year green card, it looks very bad.

oh no, we separated after one year or so. I apologise I dont have all the docs here. Can you please allow me until later today so I can send you all the info. Thank you so much

Take your time.

Guillermo, I want to apologise I havent forgot about my question to you and I will be submitting the papers soon. I have been so busy with tax season. thank you for your paincience
No problem.