Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

A friend of mine lives in Miami as a permanent resident. His…

A friend of mine lives...
A friend of mine lives in Miami as a permanent resident. His fiancé lives back in the Dominican Republic, where he is from. She is pregnant, and he wishes to reunite his family at some point in the future. What are his options, if any, for bringing her and their unborn child to Miami?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thanks! Very appreciated!

As a permanent resident he cannot file for a fiance, but he can file for his spouse and child.

However once he naturalizes to US citizenship, he will be able to petition for her as either his fiance or as his spouse, and for his child as well.

The processing time for the spouse of a permanent redient is around 2 years.

Whereas the processing time for the spouse of a US citizen is around 1 year - 15 months.

The processing time for the fiance visa is between 3-6 months, and as you can see is the fastes processing option.

Your friend will have to calculate the length of time between now and his naturlization, and determine which option may be the fastest route for his family.

If he applies for her as his wife now, then naturalizes before her petition is approved, her preference category should automatically be transferred to the spouse of a US citizen (there are unlimited visas available for this category) and be processed sooner.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Thank you so much for your help!!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!