Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have 2 friends here with Visas F1 and F2 they exchange…

I have 2 friends here...
I have 2 friends here with Visas F1 and F2 they exchange status here in the USA from b1/b2 to student.My friend with the F2 as the dependent need to go back to Brazil because her dad is in the hospital. Is my understanding that she will lose her status as the dependent, is that correct to say?Our question is: Can my friend return to the US as a tourist and request a change of status again to stay with her husband on F1 ? what would be the process for her to return and stay with her husband?Is there a minimum time that she needs to stay in Brazil before returning here?Remenber she is only going to brazil because her dad is in the hopsital. What would be her options?
3/8/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

It's not 100% correct. It is not that she will lose her status. That is not true. It's just that in order to return back to the US she will first need to go to the US embassy or consulate and get an F2 visa stamp in her passport. This is the right way to do it.

She should not return as a tourist and then change her status again here to F2 because it will be the second time she does this and she could be denied her F2 visa for fraudulent reasons.

There is no minimum time for her to stay in Brazil.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
whats the proper way to contact the us embassy in regards ***** ***** ? is it a phone number that i can do that? thanks again I think this resumes all my questions

To make an appointment at the nearest US embassy, your friend can go to this website and look for the best location then make the appointment online. https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Best of luck!