Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I’m returning to us out after few days over 180 days. Will I…

Dear Pearl, I’m returning...

Dear Pearl, I’m returning to us out after few days over 180 days . Will I be facing some question from CBP?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, I revived My tree card in 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing further. I have been traveling to US within six month time since I received the green card in sep 2015 . This time is the duration of my stay outside is 184 days

3/8/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response.

Yes, you can expect some additional questioning from CBP upon re-entry to the US.

Those questions could include:

• Where have you been outside the U.S.?
  • For how long?
  • What were you doing there?
  • Why are you coming to the U.S. now?
  • What ties did you keep to the U.S. during your absence?

There actually is not a requirement that you not stay outside of the US for more than 180 days, however if CBP officials notice multiple tripsor lengthy stays abroad, then they may refer your case to an immigration judge if they suspect you have abandoned your permanent residency status.

If that happens, then you'll want to retain an immgration lawyer to represent you.

You can contact AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association if you ever need to find a lawyer.

See:

www.ailalawyer.org/

In the future you can avoid any of these issues by first obtaining a re-entry permit before you leave the US if you suspect your stay will be closer to one year or more away from the US.

You can apply for a re-entry permit here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer