Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about the Immigration

I have a question...

I have a question about the Immigration

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Can you tell me a little more about your situation and your particular legal question? Thanks!

hello
Hello
I need your help and information about my situation.
I was a holder for American Green Card and its expired around 7 years ago, my age now 28 years I first interred U.S. in 2001 and issued my green card then when I was 11 years old after five years I left U.S. at 2006 and never return back for some personal reasons and problems.
Is it possible to renew the green card now or there is a chance to apply for U.S. Citizen directly I think my personal situation may help.
I am from Jordan and live and work at Kuwait city right now I have an Engineering degree.
I need only a confirmation is it possible to immigrate and work at U.S. now so I can proceed or not?Thanks

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Unfortunately that old green card will not be able to be renewed due to your lengthy stay outside of the US.

Any stay outside of the US of 1 year or more results in a green card being considered abandoned. There are sometimes exceptions that can be appealed, but in your case a stay of around 12 years would have classified your permanent residency as having been abandoned.

You are still eligible to re-apply if you have another immediate family relative that can be a sponsor.

You can also potentially obtain an H1B visa through a US employer since your have an advanced degree in engineering.

To learn more about the H1B visa, visit:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

thanks
How can my american family relatives to be a sponsor where to what they should do? and could be my aunt to be my sponsor?and my engineering degree is outside U.S. how can I accredit my engineering certificate?thanks

Unfortunately no, your aunt cannot be a sponsor.

It has to be an immediate relative which USCIS includes as a parent, child, sibling, spouse, or fiance.

You may not need to have your engineering certificate transleted into a US degree.

It depends on the qualifications and certifications you've received in your home country, and whether they are approved and accepted by a potential employer.

You can also read more about the H1B qualifications at the link I sent you earlier.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

what is the suitable way to immigrate and work and live in US?
is it possible to take a visit visa and after that start to apply for green card?
Or I can apply for green card from now at the embassy?
And again in case I want to proceed with the H1B Visa From where I can apply ? shall I go to embassy to apply directly or some american company that needs to hire me shall do the visa?

It may be better to continue our conversation over the phone as you have several more complex follow-up questions.

I've sent you the link above for the phone call. Once it's processed we'll be able to speak further in regards ***** ***** additional questions you sent last.

Thanks!

Nisha Jones
NO, I think Writing is better for me because Am week at English I translate and take some help to send you a message, by phone call probably I will not understand you and me my self cant express my needs.
And now I will ask you again my questions:
1) Can apply for green card from now at the embassy or should be a visa?
2) In case I need a VISA What is more suitable way to live and work at US. it is by H1B VISA or by visit VISA. I am talking here as I want to be an american citizen and to live forever inside US. ?
3) In case I want to proceed with the H1B Visa From where I can apply ? shall I go to embassy to apply directly or some american company that needs to hire me shall do the visa?Thanks
please any news!

Good morning!

(1.) Yes, you can re-apply for a green card now, if you have a qualifying relative to sponsor you.

A qualifying relative would be a parent, sibling, spouse, fiance, or child over the age of 21.

(2.) Yes, an H1B visa would be the appropriate route. There is the possibility to naturalize under the H1B later on. Please remember to review the link I sent you earlier about the H1B visa.

You are not permitted to work in the US while on a visitor's visa.

(3.) No, the H1B is petitioned for by an employer sponsor, not you.

You first have to find a job opening with a company, apply, get hired for the job, and then have the company file the H1B petition on your behalf.

I hope that helps!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!