Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need assistance with obtaining documents which will show…

I need assistance with...

I need assistance with obtaining documents which will show that I am a US Citizen. I'm requesting my passport and all the documents I sent still aren't sufficient. I was adopted and was never legally done however my mother did sign letter stating she was my mother and how I came into her life. I sent letter stating that both my parents were members of the church we attended at the time and also went to the church school from at 4th to 6th grade.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I also was the person who sponsored my daughters husband to the US which I have his Alien Card but not the actual documents. All people that can help are all deceased. My date of birth is March 7,1954{ New York) sorry I should have waited for your response before given you additional information, I've just been going through this on and off for years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That the jobs I've held I had back ground checks as I was told I had to be a citizen for the position held

3/8/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much Mr Young I look forward to receiving your response..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will pend for your response first if I'm unable to need additional assistance at that time I will call. You see I submitted my passport as expedited and they time frame as lapse for my travel date and I've lost money although that shouldn't be a concern at this timeRespectfully
Michelle H Payne

First, I am puzzled. Do you have a US passport? Who says that a US passport isn’t sufficient to establish citizenship? Usually, a passport is one of the principal ways of establishing citizenship.

The easiest way to demonstrate citizenship is by providing a copy of your birth certificate. Have you tried to get one?

Here are a few sites that show you how to obtain one:

https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates/new-york/ny-state-vital-records (New York State)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/new_york_city.htm (New York City)

If for some reason, you cannot obtain a copy of your birth certificate, there are secondary documents that cane used to establish citizenship. I have listed them below and, for ease of reference, I am quoting from this link: https://www.thoughtco.com/proof-of-u-s-citizenship-3321592

Early Public Records

Persons born in the United States but unable to present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship may submit a combination of early public records as evidence of your U.S. citizenship.

Early public records must be submitted with a Letter of No Record. Early public records should show name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be created within the first five years of the person’s life. Examples of early public records are:

• Baptismal certificate
  • Hospital birth certificate
  • Census record
  • Early school record
  • Family Bible record
  • Doctor's record of post-natal care

Early Public Records are not acceptable when presented alone.

Delayed Birth Certificate

Persons born in the United States but unable to present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship because their U.S. Birth Certificate was not filed within the first year after their birth may submit a Delayed U.S. Birth Certificate. A Delayed U.S. Birth Certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if:

• It lists the documentation used to create it (preferably early public records, and
  • It is signed by the birth attendant or lists an affidavit signed by the parents.

If the Delayed U.S. Birth Certificate does not include these items, it should be submitted together with Early Public Records.

Letter of No Record

Persons born in the United States but unable to present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship because they do not have a previous U.S. passport or a certified U.S. birth certificate of any kind must present a state-issued Letter of No Record showing:

• Name,
  • Date of birth,
  • The years for which a birth record was searched, and
  • Acknowledgment that no birth certificate was found on file.

A Letter of No Record must be submitted together with Early Public Records.

Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit

Persons born in the United States but unable to present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you may submit Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. The birth affidavit:

• Must be notarized,
  • Must be submitted in person,
  • Must be submitted together with early public records,
  • Must be completed by an affiant who has personal knowledge of birth in the U.S.,
  • Must state briefly how the affiant's knowledge was acquired, and
  • Should be completed by an older blood relative.

NOTE: If no older blood relative is available, it may be completed by the attending physician or any other person who has personal knowledge of the person's birth.
I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Edward Young
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I was trying to get a passport and the documents which you listed my adopted mother signed and notarized with explaining how you came to have me. . Yes I did submit to them the search letter from New York, however they are stating they only have a copy either they lost it or the post office branch where I went lost the original one had given. So I need to obtain another letter of no Record and a copy of Census report.
I would like to know if I can provide documentation that I was the one who married my children father and later he filed the necessary documents to stay in the United States would that also be valid to us,?
I thank you if I'm unable to obtain the documents within 30days, would you be able to assist me in getting then expedited ?RespectfullyMichelle Payne
Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young