Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Need an immigration lawyer please. Maryland. Nothing else…

Need an immigration lawyer...

Need an immigration lawyer please

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Can you tell me a little more about your situation? What is your particular legal question? Thanks!

I have just submitted concurrent application of form I-130 and form I-485, I know it takes up to 3 months to receive a work permit of some sort, am I able to work while waiting for the papers?

No unfortunately you cannot work until you have received either your permanent residency or an employment authorization.

Did you also file an I-765 for employment authorization? What is your current immigration status?

i didn't file I-765, at the moment my I-94 says I'm B2 class which is tourist
but i'm married to a us citizen, i don't need to file I-765 correct?

Okay, you will need to file an I-765 to get employment authorization.

Unfortunately you cannot work in the US without either your permanent residency card or the employment authorization.

The I-765 should be approved much sooner than your permanent residency petition, permitting you to work in the meantime.

Yes, this is still applicable if you are married to a US citizen.

Here's a link to where you can access the I-765 form and instructions:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

As already mentioned, I have just submitted form I-130 and form I-485 together. Do i have to wait for the answer from USCIS for my I-485 application before filing the I-765?

No, you can submit the I-765 now. You do not have to wait.

I hope that helps clarify!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones