Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about what my best options are for my

Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a question about what my best options are for my fiancé and I. I live in the US and he lives in France. We want to get married. We want to know if we should do a K1 visa or if there is a better route.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

We haven't filed anythingyet anything yet*

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That we want him to be able to work in the US as soon as possible so him living here isn't a burden for him.

3/8/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Okay, thank you!
a text response is fine, thanks.

The K-1 visa is your best bet if you want to marry in the US. You must Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). Once approved, the case will be sent to the National Visa Center, which will process and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or consulate nearest to your fiancé’s foreign place of residence. The embassy or consulate will then invite him to apply for the actual fiancé(e) visa. This visa lets him enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place in the United States. Once you marry, you can apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while the application is processed. At that time he can also apply for an Employment Authorization Document on Form I-765, which will allow him to work.

The average waiting time for approval of the I-129F is five months. In some cases, the approval could arrive in as little as 3 months. In others, it could take longer. Here is a link to a website that tells you how to determine the status of your fiance visa application:

https://www.visatutor.com/i-129f-petition-uscis-case-processing-charts/

Please do not have your fiancé travel on a visitor’s visa and then get married. Homeland Security is very skeptical of such marriages, particularly if they are done within two months of your arrival in the US. If you try to get married too early, your application may be denied.

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Edward Young
Thank you! And if we submit for the K1 visa, how long will it take between filing for the K1 visa and it getting approved for him to enter the US? Trying to understand the time frames for each action.

I am attaching a link that shows the time it took one couple to get a K-1 visa. Basically, it took four months to get the I-129F approved and another three to get the visa: http://www.ajourneyaway.com/french-in-the-us-k1-visa/

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating and bonus! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.