Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am wondering if I am currently on H1B status and the firm…

Hi, I am wondering...

Hi, I am wondering if I am currently on H1B status and the firm wants to send me for an international rotation for 9-12 months. Will I still be able to come back on the current H1B?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Or does the firm have to file another H1B and I have to go through the whole lottery process all over again?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I have not. Just trying to figure out myself for now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Yes, and in fact, the time that you spend outside does not count towards your 6 year limit and can be recaptured later.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Are there any paperwork or procedures required? does the firm need to deactivate and then reactivate H1b for me again when I return? Or neither of us need to do anything as long as h1b do not expire?

If your petition has not expired, then no, no extra things have to be done, you just come back on your unexpired H-1B visa stamp and continue working for the H-1B employer. If the petition has expired, your employer would need to file a new one and you most likely would have to get a new visa as well.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!