Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

UPS lost my passport and only wants to pay me 100$. I paid…

Customer Question
UPS lost my passport...

UPS lost my passport and only wants to pay me 100$. I paid at least 1500$ for the visas and passport itself, plus I need to now worry about my identity theft. can I sue them?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

H1B. I applied for green card and have I-140 approved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Today is the day they confirmed that its officially lost. They asked me to file a claim, I haven't filed it yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/8/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 4 months ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, when you mail something USPS, there is a limitation of liability in all postal mailing and unless you took out additional insurance, the maximum liability USPS has is $100. You had to take the additional insurance to have a claim more than $100 against them. So I am sorry to say if you did not take out the insurance and declare the value of the package, they only have to pay $100.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I see you typed USPS, and not UPS. Is it the same case for UPS?Also, I got the UPS 2nd Day Air®. I could not find any insurance information for it, yet.

Thank you for your reply.

UPS terms and conditions are the same $100 unless you purchased insurance for their additional fee.