Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm going through divorce in USA and intend to marry a U.S.

I'm going through divorce...

I'm going through divorce in USA and intend to marry a U.S. citizen while living in USA. I have employment based i485 pending as a dependent which will be withdrawn by current spouse as soon as divorce papers are filed. What do i need to do to make sure i remain in status?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I'm want to know what paperwork needs to be filed once I get married.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

The only way to make sure that you have as few days out of status as possible is to have all the applications and documents ready and as soon as your divorce becomes final, you would marry your new future spouse. Once you are married, you can immediately mail all the applications in to USCIS. Once they receive it, you will immediately be back in a temporary legal status while you await the decision from USCIS. Since your application will be based on marriage to a US citizen, then it will be fine that you spent a few days or weeks out of status. That is forgiven upon approval of a I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee in the future. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
is it application for i485 - adjustment of status ?
Phone call session started

:)