Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need some information on ow to go about getting federal…

Hi. I need some...

Hi. I need some information on ow to go about getting federal court records

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

The record was in Virginia however the person now lives out of the USA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. We are in the Caribbean and need these records for a Canadian visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The sentencing was in 1992 and he was deported in 1997.

3/7/2018
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What specifically do you need to know?

We want to know how to go about obtaining court records. The person lived in the USA, served 5 years in prison and was deported to the Caribbean.
Can you assist?

Thank you for your reply.

I can tell you where he needs to contact to get the information he is seeking if that is okay with you.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.

He has to contact the clerk of court at the US District Court in the Eastern District of VA and he needs to give them his name and date of birth and ask the clerk for the records. Here is the information for the US District Court in Eastern District of VA and they will get him what he needs: http://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I do not see anyway to make contact or ask my questions using the link provided.

Thank you for your reply.

If you clicked on one of the cities at the top of the page, you would have found a phone directory list. Here is the phone directory for clerk of the court in the Richmond office: http://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/locations/ric.htm#telephone

Thanks much. We will try to call tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply.