Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I came here when i was 3 years old, i am turning 19 years…

I came here when...

I came here when i was 3 years old , i am turning 19 years old this year, i have a 1 year old son , and i graduated early from high school . however, i have a misdemeanor on my record but i really want to become a citizen and continue with school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/7/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

thank you so much for taking the time to help me .

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Sounds like you are a "Dreamer" and as you know, there really is nothing that's currently available as an easy fix. I hope I have good news for you, but I have a feeling it won't be good news. How did you enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? What country are you from? How long ago did you enter the U.S.? How old were you when you entered the U.S.? Also, what was the misdemeanor crime and the sentence, even if it was a suspended sentence? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

illegally, mexico, domestic battery , 2 months juvenile jail and 1 year rehab center called Milwaukee academy
oh and i was 3 years ols when i came

Domestic Violence is a permanent bar to ever getting a green card. So you were charged and convicted as a minor? How old were you?

14

Ok. Then the crime should not be a bar against you. Unfortunately, the only forgiveness that existed for entering illegally was under INA 245(i) which states that if you had an I-130, I-140 or Labor Certification properly filed for you ON or BEFORE April 30, 2001 AND you could prove that you were inside the U.S. on December 21, 2000 unless the I-130, I-140 or Labor Certification was filed on or before January 14, 1998, then you could pay a $1000 penalty and adjust status to U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. If you did not have any of those types of applications filed for you before that date, then you have three options:

1) Wait for the immigration reform that comes out. If it is approved, then you may be able to get Residency if you entered the U.S. early enough.

2) Apply for Asylum (you had to have done this within the 1st year of being in the U.S. unless there is a credible excuse or changed country conditions), Withholding of Removal, Convention Against Torture, or Cancellation of Removal. The first three things are if you fear to return to your home country because you believe that you will be specifically targeted due to your race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion and that you run a high risk of great bodily injury, torture, or death as a result. The last, Cancellation, you would have to prove that you have been at least 10 years in the U.S. AND you must also prove that if you are deported, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident that depends upon you will suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship. This hardship must be something more than emotional separation hardship or financial hardship, so it is difficult to get.

3) If you marry a U.S. Citizen (for love, of course), you could file an I-130 here in the U.S. (which will give you no legal status), but once that I-130 is approved, really the only thing you can do is leave the U.S. and apply to come back in at the U.S. Embassy/consulate in your home country as the spouse of a U.S. Citizen. At that point, they will want to deny you because you entered illegally and stayed. So you would have to apply for an I-601 waiver (forgiveness) and to get this waiver you will have to prove that your spouse will suffer extreme hardship if you are not allowed back in to the U.S. These waivers are very difficult to get. The reason they are difficult to get is because your spouse's hardship probably will need to be more than just economic hardship or emotional separation hardship. So because they are difficult to get, no one wants to risk leaving the U.S. and getting stuck outside for 10 years if it isn't granted.

You can look at this link to get more information on I-601 waivers. It is from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, but it is a good description and the process should be similar in all U.S. Embassies.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/waiver-process/

and here is another link:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/centralized-filing-and-adjudication-form-i-601-application-waiver-grounds-inadmissibility

And here is a link to what extreme hardship is:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2007,0717-scott.shtm

An alternative to the old I-601 is the I-601A waiver, it isn't a new law. It is a new procedure. What has changed is that before, a person had to leave the U.S. and spend around 15 months or so while waiting for their appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country and then HOPE that they got approved, but the change is that now the same person can apply inside the U.S., get a pre-approval, and then with that pre-approval they can leave the U.S. for just a few days or even a day, present themselves for a scheduled appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then get the final approval and come back as long as there are no other reasons of inadmissibility, just having entered the U.S. illegally or having overstayed. Here is an official link:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/provisional-waiver/provisional-unlawful-presence-waivers

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but the options are very limited at the moment. I do think the I-601A is a good choice at this point if you have a qualifying relative. But if you do that, because of the conviction as a juvenile, I would use an attorney. Regardless, at least you know the truth and that will keep you out of the hands of unscrupulous attorneys that are looking to take advantage of a desperate situation to charge thousands of dollars for something that has very little chance of producing a positive result.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

to clarify what do you recommend i do specifically

At this point, nothing unless you are married to a U.S. Citizen. If you are, then file an I-130 and then later an I-601A waiver. If they tried to deport you for some reason, you could then ask for Cancellation of Removal.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!