Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a startup in Nigeria that got selected to an

I am a startup...

I am a startup in Nigeria that got selected to an accelerator in USA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have not You are the first

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all majorly

3/7/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I am not sure I understand your questions. What would you like to know?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a co-founder of a startup based in Nigeria, Africa. I recently got selected for a three months accelerator program that will require me to be based in NC for the entire program or most of it. I will like to apply for a visa but need expert advice regarding the type of visa and how to present my information.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The accelerator will be giving us $20,000 as cash infusion in our business which will cover our living expenses and other needs. The will also provide accommodation for the duration.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not exactly found there. The closest is a training program. As they will also be giving us training, mentorship etc

Are they a U.S. Company?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are.

Ok. Then it is most likely either a B-1 which can be found here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Or it is an H-3:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-3-nonimmigrant-trainee/h-3-nonimmigrant-trainee-or-special-education-exchange-visitor

Here is a link to get you started in applying for a NON-immigrant visa:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/index.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What things will the accelerator program need to include in their invitation letter. Am I allowed to use a grant they give to pay for my living expenses?

Please read through he H-3 page. It details what such a letter would need to explain and provide proof of. And yes, you should be able to use the grant for living expenses.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will certainly give you the best rating. One thing though is that due to time constraint (it is starting end of this month) I am limited to just the B-1 visa. Will I still be able to use the grant for it?

Well, you may be able to do it through the B-1, but you have to show that the grant will be used only for travel and living expenses.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, that is very helpful. Thanks

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.