Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a cousin who received a 6-month B2 visa. She would…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a cousin who received a 6-month B2 visa. She would like to come in April but the visa has an annotation that says Summer 2018.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

The application was approved and she received the visa, issued on 2/12/18

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The trip would be for 15 days in Miami (also in included in the annotation)

3/7/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What did she tell the visa officer about her trip? If it was different than what she told the visa officer, why is it different?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem, thanks for your help Guillermo.She says that she didn't specify a particular date for her trip but that she wanted to travel to the U.S. this year.Would it help I sent over screenshots with the exact answers she gives me? It would be in Spanish though.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She also says that she was aware that there would be an annotation for her going to Miami to visit family for 15 days but not aware that it would say 'Summer 2018'
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She only found out about that at the moment she received the actual visa

I can read Spanish. Block out any private information, though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** go.

Apart from the annotation, the validity dates of the visa are from when to when?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Issue Date: 12FEB2018
Expiration Date: 08OCT2018

Then she can use it now, but she will need to be ready to explain the following at the port of entry:

1) Why are you coming earlier than planned?

2) How much time do you need?

3) Why do you need so much time?

4) How will you be supporting yourself since you are not allowed to work?

5) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

6) What preparations have you made to go back?

As long as she can satisfy the officer, they should let her in.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** annotation should not matter as long as there is reasoning for coming earlier than the stated season? Along with valid answers to your questions?

Oh, it matters! It lets the officer at the Port of Entry know that the visa officer had some concerns. But in the end, it's the decision of the officer at the Port of Entry to let her in. As long as she can convince him that she doesn't have immigrant intent, has strong ties to her home and won't overstay or work illegally, then she should be let in.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks for clarifying! I have let my cousin know about everything you mentioned.Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.