Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a very simple question, can I re enter the States…

Good morning, my name...

Good morning, my name is***** and I have a very simple question, can I re enter the States with a disorderly conduct on my record? I am a permanent resident for 25 years and my little brother passed away yesterday and I have to go assist my mother

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes I have my permanent green card for the past 24 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I'm trying but last minute thing is hard

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Limited order of protection in effect till January 2019

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2018
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Disorderly conduct is not a crime, it is a violation (like a parking ticket) and it is not a crime of moral turpitude. Crimes of moral turpitude keep you from getting your resident status renewed, but if you have permanent resident status and you have only a disorderly violation, that is NOT grounds to prevent you from reentering the US.

As long as you return to the US in under 12 months, you will be readmitted. If you stay out of the US longer than 12 months you can be deemed as having abandoned your permanent resident status.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

it should not be a problem correct? I'm staying only 10 days
Also the limited order of protection is always in my pocket and it does not mention anything about travel

Thank you for your reply.

No, it would NOT be a problem. If you are going for 10 days, you will be allowed to return as a permanent resident and the disorderly conduct will not prevent you from doing so.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply.