Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Thanks for being available! I have dual citizenship but find…

Customer Question
Hello, thanks for being...

Hello, thanks for being available! I have dual citizenship but find myself in an uncomfortable situation where my foreign bank tells me I must either renounce my US citizenship or have my account closed. Closing this account is not a good option for me but nor would I want to renounce my US citizenship. Wonder if there is a way out of this dilemma.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I live in Japan, where I work as a teacher, and am registered as a French national. My US passport has been expired more than 10 years, I have not lived in the US, nor claimed any benefits from US government. My US nationality was received at birth, as I was born in the US from an American father.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing. My attachment to US citizenship is mostly sentimental, as all my earnings are from foreign source. I just kept my passport which I never used except once when I travelled to a US territory. The problem started some years ago when my bank told me that as a"US person" I was required to fill out a W9 tax form indicating my US SS number. I have no such number, and have not acted on that request. Now the bank says, whether or not I have an SS number no longer makes a difference, I simply am not allowed to have a foreign investment account unless it is with a US based bank! If I want to continue with the same bank, which I have been using for many years and fully trust, I must renounce my citizenship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's all, thanks!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/7/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

How are they asking you to actually renounce your U.S. Citizenship? There might be a way to do it without the U.S. actually recognizing it.

Also, I will be out for a few hours in court, but I will be back later to reply. Sorry for any delay, but I am a practicing attorney which means I have my own cases to attend to, but this is to your benefit because it means I am experienced and currently practicing.

Ely, Counselor at Law