Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife and daughter would like to travel back to Argentina…

Jen, My wife and daughter would...
Jen,
My wife and daughter would like to travel back to Argentina to visit family and friends. Is this a sufficiently good reason to put in form I-131 (request for travel documents)? Do they risk being denied either the green card or re entry to the US if they travel abroad before the paperwork is complete?
Thanks!
3/7/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, if that is the reason then that is what they should put on the form. I would suggest just family, not friends as that seems less important to include friends and the I-131 should be for a more important reason. If someone is elderly or sick, it is worth mentioning also as an additional reason.

No, there is not a risk as long as the I-131 is approved and they did not spend any time in the US illegally. If they did spend time illegally here then there is a small chance that they could have issues returning but ultimately should be allowed in.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney