Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My mom is in the U.S. under a tourist visa until the End of…

Good evening, my mom...

Good evening, my mom is in the U.S. under a tourist visa until the End of March.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

We filed an I-130 form thaty they have received. We haven't gotten an answer from them but we were wondering if we need to submit the form i-489 for her to wait until they schedule an interview

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet not at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just need to know if we need this additional form in order for to wait for the interview in the U.S., without having to leave the country

3/6/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Are you a US citizen?

Thank you
Do we need to file any additional form if my mom wants to wait for the interview in the U.S. after her tourist visa is up? She's only allowed go stay here for 6 months, which it ends in April.

I am assuming you are a US citizen. If you mother intends to stay in the US to wait for her green card, then yes she must now file the I-485 with all supporting documents found on the instructions for your mother. USCIS has to receive this before her visa expires at the end of March. Otherwise she will be out of status. Once they receive her I-485, she will be in a temporary legal status awaiting the decision but she cannot depart the US while she waits otherwise the whole thing will be considered abandoned. This should have actually been done together with the I-130 but you can still do it now. If she does want to travel, then you should file form I-131 together with the I-485 for an advanced parole to travel. It takes 3-4 months to get that after sending the form in.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee in the future. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

--------

Awesome thank you so much

You're very welcome!

Please kindly remember the rating. Thank you :)

Hi again, were you having any issues in leaving a rating?

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney