Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have bunch of questions. I have one

I have bunch of...

I have bunch of questions

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have one

3/3/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So could you list all your questions, please?

Hello again,I filed I-751 for removing the conditions back in December 2016 with my wife.It has been 14 months and I just found out that my case in local office.CSC was processing it.When should I expect to hear something from them?What does that means the case transferred at the local office.Will we be scheduled for an interview or I can still get an approval at the local office?Our marriage is in good faith and we sent a good package to USCIS so pretty much we have no red flags.But I also see that this is nothing special for my case.They transferred thousands of cases to the local offices.Also time to time we are having some difficulties with my wife about our marriage and sometimes I am thinking about getting divorced.Do I have to refile the papers if I get divorced or I just have to let them know that I'm continuing this process alone?

Ok. Let's go one by one:

When should I expect to hear something from them?

It depends on how busy the local office is. It could be 1 to 3 months or so.

What does that means the case transferred at the local office.

That you most likely will be interviewed.

Will we be scheduled for an interview or I can still get an approval at the local office?

You will most likely be scheduled for interview and if you pass, then you should be approved.

Our marriage is in good faith and we sent a good package to USCIS so pretty much we have no red flags. But I also see that this is nothing special for my case.They transferred thousands of cases to the local offices.Also time to time we are having some difficulties with my wife about our marriage and sometimes I am thinking about getting divorced.

Sometimes cases are chosen at random. Just continue to collect evidence every month and put it in a folder to then present at the interview.

Do I have to refile the papers if I get divorced or I just have to let them know that I'm continuing this process alone?

If you divorce or are heading to divorce, you will need to let them know at the interview to change your file to a waiver form and prove that even though you are divorcing or going to divorce, your marriage was real but just fell apart. It happens.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Could you please explain me this part more?’’If you divorce or are heading to divorce, you will need to let them know at the interview to change your file to a waiver form and prove that even though you are divorcing or going to divorce, your marriage was real but just fell apart. It happens.’Should I take my wife with me even if we get divorce?

If you get a divorce or start the divorce process, you should not take your spouse to the interview. You should start the divorce process if you haven't already and then you will have to file an I-751 waiver. Here is some information on that:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

Focus on where it says, "If your marriage was terminated other than by the death of your spouse, you must submit the following:"

Here is a list of things that I like to give my clients and I know that you may not have all of these things, but the more you have, the better it is.

A letter where you describe, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which you met your spouse, the reasons you married, and the feelings and emotions that you had or still have towards your spouse, and why.
If you have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that shows a common address.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents that prove your relationship.

You will need to submit evidence similar to the evidence that you submitted at your marriage interview. You must prove that even though you divorced, your marriage was not entered into solely for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!