Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a pre-medicine student and also International student.

I am a pre-medicine...

I am a pre-medicine student and also International student. My advisor said to go medical school, I better get greencard so how can I do for this greencard?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Seattle,Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet because I don’t know which lawyer have to talk

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to talk Burmese lawyer because I’m Burmese from Myanmar

When will you let me know that I can meet Burmese lawyer?
3/2/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You "better" get a green card? That's not how it works, unfortunately. Are you in a 4 year university degree program? When does it end?

I’m just on the way to get AA degree but I want to make sure my future plan.
I prefer typing.

There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/greencard

Many people in your situation do F-1 student status, get a bachelors degree, then get an H-1B professional visa and then later a green card all through employment. Others that go through medical school might do J-1 after F-1, then get H-1B and then the green card. So it is possible.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I also heard about through millitary, if International student go military and we can get greencard? Is that program still available?
Also, for International student, is there any difficult to get H-1 visa? Or is it easy?

It is not currently available:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/what-is-mavni-information-for-designated-school-officials

Check periodically. It is being revised.

H-1B is common for F-1 students, but it isn't easy.

You need to get a job offer. The job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to your degree and experience. The position must normally require a bachelor's degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay you what is normally paid to someone in that position. Also, because they are used up for this year, you will need to apply on April 1, 2018 to start working on October 1, 2018 or later. The exception is if you apply for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is an official link to the H-1B:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

kind of but I’m now finding other options to go medical school.
Because my main point is I want to go medical school as an international student. Can you give me some advice that whom should I ask?

It bothers me that you disappeared for almost a week and you didn't follow-up with me. Please understand that I am not given a salary to be here. I am only compensated when you leave a positive rating and that's only by a small percentage of your deposit. Please do not leave again without leaving a positive rating. You have to look around to find a school that is willing to accept you. Here is a link:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Do not go outside of this website search engine. It has to be a school that is certified by the U.S. government.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

I’m so sorry. I didn’t know how to rate it.

You just did. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!